"I Rather Eat Cake"

Posted by Toronto Girl
April 18, 2011




Sugar causes premature aging.

Sugar suppresses your immune system.

Sugar causes weight gain – because sugar excess in the body converts to fat.

Sugar makes your body more acidic. Did you know that cancer cells grow in an acidic environment?

(I got these facts from registered holistic nutritionist Joy McCarthy . You can watch her video on kicking the sugar habit here )

The truth is, I am not a health expert, or a certified health nut, but I do love food and I love to eat. A few years ago I came to the realization that food is a celebration of life, which is why I make an effort to be mindful about what I eat. You might not find the latest fashions in my closet, but my pantry will blow your mind.

As a result of my obsession with the cause-and-effect qualities of food, I am more aware of the impact certain foods have on my overall health. I know that anything with cow milk will give me gas (TMI?), but goat milk products are gentler on my tummy. And I don’t know what it is about Quinoa (other than the fact that it is a complete protein, and a great source of magnesium), but when I eat it I feel light and fantastic. Which brings me to refined sugar: highly addictive, highly dangerous. Aside from the aforementioned side effects of high sugar consumption, I know that sugar can’t be that good for me because when I eat sugar loaded foods I feel lethargic and start getting pimples.

So when a friend said “I rather eat cake than go to the gym,” I thought: “Really? Why?” Because it makes me happy, she said. Does it really? I guess for the moment it does. A sweet treat can bring memories of childhood birthday parties, or joyous Christmas gatherings with friends and family. I get it, I feel the same way from time to time. But I think that as you get older, you need to start making better choices, because, well, you are getting older! Ignorance is bliss, but I am not the first one to write about the negative effects of sugar, so we cannot claim ignorance. This is innate knowledge that we have --I know that I am not the first one to get indigestion after a sweet/fatty meal – it is up to us to pay attention and acknowledge how our body works, and honour it.

What are your thoughts on sugar addiction? do you subscribe to the "everything in moderation" school? do you have any tips on overcoming sugar-holism?

0 Responses to '"I Rather Eat Cake"'

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Good For Your Soul

About Toronto Girl

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Facebook

Twitter

Chicago Series

Chicago Series
bloglovin